Straight Up Hairstyles
South African straight up hairstyles, also known as “shuku” or “amagqatha”, are a stunning and diverse expression of cultural identity and artistry. They involve intricately braiding the hair upwards, creating a variety of geometric patterns and designs. These styles are not just beautiful, but also practical, offering a protective option for natural hair and lasting for weeks.
Here’s a glimpse into the fascinating world of South African straight up hairstyles:
Popular Types Of Straight Up Hairstyles:
- Simple Straight Ups: This classic style involves braiding the hair straight back from the forehead to the nape of the neck. Variations include adding beads, extensions, or leaving some hair loose in the front for a playful touch.
- Cornrow Straight Ups: Cornrows, also known as “makosi”, are thin, raised braids that form intricate designs. These can be incorporated into straight up styles, creating geometric patterns, zigzags, or even words and symbols.
- Ghana Weaving: This style involves braiding the hair into cornrows at the front and then weaving it backwards in a flat, horizontal pattern towards the crown. It offers a sleek and elegant look.
- Basket Weaves: This intricate style involves crossing sections of hair over and under, creating a basket-like weave that extends upwards. It’s a true masterpiece of braiding skill.
- Fulani Braids: This style originates from West Africa but has become popular in South Africa. It features cornrows along the front hairline that curve backwards and upwards, often adorned with beads or shells.
Extra Features Of Straight Up Hair Styles:
The beauty of straight up hairstyles lies in their versatility. You can personalize them with:
- Hair length and texture: Natural hair, relaxed hair, or extensions can all be used to create stunning styles.
- Partings: Experiment with different parting styles like center, zig-zag, or multiple parts for a unique look.
- Accessories: Beads, shells, ribbons, and even thread can add pops of color and personality to your braids.
- Color: Opt for bold hair colors or incorporate colorful extensions for a truly head-turning statement.
- Straight up hairstyles can take time and skill to create. Consider visiting a professional braider for a flawless finish.
- Maintaining your braids is key. Use satin scarves or sleep on a satin pillowcase to prevent frizz and tangles.
- Most importantly, have fun and embrace the creativity and cultural significance of these beautiful hairstyles!
Collection Of Straight Up Hairstyles